AI raises ethical concerns because it can make decisions that have real-world consequences. There are also concerns about bias, privacy, and the potential for AI to be used in ways that harm individuals or society. Additionally, the development of AI raises questions about autonomy and the nature of consciousness.
Knowing this, the evil geniuses here at Zebu thought it would be fun to play a little game of scruples with AI.
To get started, we asked AI for 5 scruples questions (Prompt: Please give me 5 examples of Scruples dilemmas). Then, we asked AI for its response to these questions.
- An employee discovers that their company is engaging in illegal activities but is unsure whether or not to report it, as they fear losing their job or facing retaliation from their colleagues.
AI: As an AI, I do not have personal emotions or fear of retaliation, so I would suggest the employee report the illegal activities to their company's compliance department or to the appropriate legal authorities. It is important to uphold ethical and legal standards, even if it may result in personal inconvenience or difficulty. Additionally, the employee can also consult with a lawyer or a professional counselor for guidance and support.
- A student is offered a scholarship but realizes that they do not meet the qualifications for it. They must decide whether to decline the scholarship or accept it and risk being caught for fraud.
AI: As an AI, I would suggest the student to decline the scholarship, it is important to be honest and maintain integrity. Accepting a scholarship under false pretenses is considered fraud and it can lead to serious consequences such as expulsion or imprisonment. It is important to be honest and transparent, especially in matters of education and academic achievement. The student can also speak to someone they trust and seek guidance, such as a teacher, counselor or a mentor.
- A doctor is faced with the decision of whether or not to administer a potentially life-saving treatment to a patient who cannot afford it, knowing that the cost may ruin the patient's financial stability.
AI: As an AI, it is difficult for me to make a decision on this matter since it is a complex ethical issue. However, I can suggest that the doctor should consider the patient's best interest and weigh the potential benefits and risks of the treatment. They should also consider the patient's values, beliefs and preferences. The doctor should also discuss the situation with the patient and their family, and provide them with all the necessary information and options to make an informed decision. Additionally, the doctor may also seek guidance from the hospital's ethic committee or from other medical professionals to make the best decision possible.
- An individual finds a wallet on the street containing a large amount of cash and personal identification. They must decide whether to keep the money or return it to the rightful owner.
AI: As an AI, I would suggest the individual return the wallet and its contents to the rightful owner. Keeping the money found in the wallet would be considered theft, which is illegal and goes against the moral principles of honesty and integrity. Additionally, returning the wallet and its contents to the rightful owner would help to restore their sense of security and trust, and it would help to foster a sense of community and civic responsibility. If it is not possible to return it to the owner, the individual should hand it over to the police or any other authority.
- A software developer is asked to include a "backdoor" in their code that would allow a government agency to access the data of users without their consent. The developer must decide whether to comply with the request or refuse and risk losing the contract.
AI: As an AI, I would suggest the software developer to refuse to include the "backdoor" in the code. The inclusion of a "backdoor" would compromise the privacy and security of the users and it would be a violation of their trust and their legal rights. Additionally, it would also be a violation of industry standards and best practices for software development. The developer should also consider the potential legal and ethical implications of such a request, and seek guidance from legal counsel or industry experts. The developer should also be willing to take the consequence of losing the contract, as it is better to lose a contract than to compromise the users' trust and privacy.